A Closer Look
Read this statement and see if it sounds astonishing to you. “For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers” (Eph. 1:15-16). Did you notice the connection between what Paul heard and the action he took? He heard about the faith and love of the Ephesian believers. Obviously, such news should cause one to give thanks, but why did this news cause Paul, to pray for them?
Paul’s prayer antennas picked up on the positive—“since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints.” Most Christians today seem to view prayer as a problem-solver, there-fore they wait until they hear of difficulties or a crisis before praying for a person or a group. However, Paul did not see problem solving as the primary purpose of prayer.
Instead, Paul, like Jesus, primarily used prayer as a problem-preventer rather than a problem-solver. A good example of this in Jesus’ life was His prayer for His followers in John 17. The disciples had a lot of problems at that moment. For example, they were caught up with who among them was most important to Jesus. They were so self-centered that before the evening was over every one of them withdrew from, Christ when He needed them most. Yet, Jesus did not mention any of these problems in His prayer. Instead, he prayed about the long-range issues that would make the disciples a powerful witness in the years to come – their protection, sanctification and unity.
Look at the catalyst for Paul’s prayer for the people of Colossae. “You learned [the gospel] from Epaphras, our dear fellow servant, who is a faithful minister of Christ on our behalf, and who also told us of your love in the Spirit. For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you.” (Col. 1:7-9). What had Paul heard about these people? Their “love in the spirit.” That information was enough to launch Paul into interceding for the Colossians.
For the people of Ephesus, who were already known as people of faith and love, Paul asked God to give them “the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that” they would know God better. Also, that their spiritual eyes would be enlightened to know the hope, inheritance and power given to them. As you can see, none of these requests dealt with problems they were facing at that time.
Each of us has enough problems to keep counselors and intercessors busy for a lifetime. When we direct our prayers primarily toward problem solving, we enter a hopeless and endless tunnel. Christ did not come just to solve problems. He came to radically change lives into His image. That is why the New Testament prayers are primarily focused on the qualities that Jesus has.
In Charles Hummel’s book Tyranny of the Urgent, he wrote how most people do not prioritize their lives to live by the important things. Therefore, the urgent things dictate how they live. He tells how Jesus gave His time and energy to that which had long-range importance. Jesus prayed the same way He lived—focused on the things that were eternally strategic. We can spend our time and energy praying for the endless problems people bring to us, or we can choose to pray about the strategic, long-ranged issues that can help form people into the image of Christ.
Why do we always ask each other, “What can I pray for you?” Ninety percent of the time people will tell us of a problem they are facing. Why? Probably because they want us to use prayer to solve their problems. Try something different. Instead of asking what others want you to pray, think of the long-range qualities that Jesus Christ has. Then ask God which of these qualities He wants to build into the life of your friend at this time. After God reveals which Christ-like qualities He desires for them, pray those things. Then the next time you see your friend, do what Paul did, tell them what you are praying. TAP God’s resources for your friends.
T – Think of Christ’s qualities
A – Ask God which qualities he desires for your friend at this time.
P – Pray those qualities into your friend’s life.
Personal Approach
Who do you know that exemplifies faith and love? Compose a prayer to God for that person or group, using Paul’s prayers as a guide.
Who do you know that exemplifies faith and love? Compose a prayer to God for that person or group, using Paul’s prayers as a guide.
ReplyDeleteDear Lord, May my words be pleasant to you as I lift up and thank you for your work in the Ernandes family. Your love, power, kindness, and generosity can be seen very clearly in the way they live for you. I am thankful and count myself blessed to know them and get to be a part of their journey as they have completely given over all aspects of their lives to you to serve you faithfully. The faith you have built up in them encourages me and I know it must also encourage others to see in them that no matter how tough the road may get at times, they are consistently leaning on; fully relying in fact on your strength, guidance, refreshing daily spiritual food to get through each “curve ball” on the road. They don’t know what tomorrow brings but instead of checking the weather on the internet or trusting in a routine, alarm clock, the engine to start, whether or not there is coffee in the coffee maker or not, how they will be perceived at work, which shirt goes best with which pants, etc… They simply trust in you. I am moved and often convicted by the work you have done in them and I want to thank you for these faithful servants. I pray Father that you would encourage them daily as they plunge further and further into a life doing your will and that you would continue to keep them safe from their enemies until such time as you chose to call them home. I pray for great reward for them in wisdom, strength, and discernment to overcome any obstacle in the way to reaching the lost and furthering your kingdom. My Heavenly Father, seeing how you have protected them in a place where so many have fallen to martyrdom for their faith in you reminds me that you are so much greater, so much bigger than any obstacle I could ever face in my daily walk. May you be ever glorified in their lives. Lord, may you be ever glorified in mine also. As they are yours in the deepest of jungles; foreigners bringing light into darkness, may I here in the deepest jungles of American society bring your light equally to the lost and distracted here. The great love of Jesus that they have for your creation, may I also learn to reflect this here as I grow in a genuine love for my brothers and sisters. I pray Lord you continue the work begun as we trust you daily to move us forward and bring your kingdom in and through our actions. In Jesus name.
I feel like I wanted to say a little bit more. Writing the prayer has been extremely difficult for me, and I have to confess part of the reason this has taken me so long to complete is because saying a prayer is very personal and writing it down seems like I'm am exposing myself to be judged. However, after writing it down I actually have a deeper appreciation for a wonderful blessing that God has gifted me in placing a longtime friend in my life. He led her into my life when I was praying for someone to help encourage me in my walk and he was faithful to match me with a sister in Christ that has discernment, who always challenges me and tells me the truth, even when it feels like she is rubbing salt in the wound. :)
DeleteI praise Yahweh for such a blessed update - to hear how He has used this to bring about deeper appreciation is beautiful.
DeleteT- Think of Christ's qualities.
ReplyDeleteA- Ask God which qualities He desires for your friend at this time.
P- Pray those qualities into your friend's life.
Personal Approach
Who do you know that exemplifies faith and love?
Compose a prayer to God for that person or group, using Paul's prayers as a guide.
Father I pray for Candice your faithful servant that you would continue to pour out your protection and comfort to her. I ask that you help her to continually grow in your wisdom and align her desires to Yours. She has been an encouragement and a great example of a faithful servant, witnessing of Your love, grace and mercy. Thank you for blessing me with a wonderful friend in Christ.